GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

WOOLER

Location of Wooler
The location of the Parish of Wooler (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"WOOLER is a smnll parish, comprising an area of 4,852 acres. The Earl of Tankerville is the proprietor of Wooler, and lord of the manor, and the Messrs. Clarke, of Newcastle, are the owners of Fenton. The population of the parish in 1801, was l,679; in 1811, 1,704; in 1821, 1,830; in 1831, 1,926; in 1841, 1,874; and in 1851, 1,911 souls. THE TOWN of Wooler occupies a healthy position, on the eastern declivity of the Cheviots, forty-six miles N.N.W. of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and consists of several streets, diverging from a central area used as a market place. Wooler was one of the baronies into which this country was divided at the period of the Norman Conquest." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 5th April 2013, 01:19 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.