GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

WOODHORN

Location of Woodhorn
The location of the Parish of Woodhorn (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"WOODHORN parish bounded on the north by Widdrington chapelry, on the west by Bothal and Ulgham, on the south by Bedlingtonshire, and on the east by the German Ocean. It is about four and three-quarter miles in length, by two and a half in breadth, and comprises an area of 8,546 acres. The number of inhabitants in l801, was 1,208; in 1811, 1,172; in 1821, 1,378; in l831, 1,416; in l841, 1,618; and in 1851, 1,598 souls. The soil of this district is generally fertile. The parish contains the chapelry of Newbiggin, and the townships of Cresswell, Ellington, Hurst, Linmouth, North Seaton, Woodhorn, and Woodhorn Demesne." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855]

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th August 2014, 03:12 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.