GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

WIDDRINGTON

Location of Widdrington
The location of the Parish of Widdrington (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"WIDDRINGTON is a parochial chapelry situated between the parishes of Woodhorn and Warkworth, having the sea for its eastern and Ulgham chapelry for its western boundary. It comprises the three small villages of Widdrington, Dunridge, and Linton, whose united area is 4,530 acres, and rateable value £4,156 17s. The population in 1801, was 446: in 1811, 370; in 1821, 388; in 1831, 395; in 1841, 447; and in 1851, 429 souls. It possesses a rich, strong, clayey soil, suitable both for pasturage and tillage, and Lord Vernon is the proprietor of the whole chapelry, with the exception of the Constablewick of Linton, which is the property of Mrs. Askew. Widdrington was formerly included in the parish of Woodhorn, but, in 1768, it was admitted to the enjoyment of separate and distinct parochial privileges, This manor was formerly the property of a family which bore the local name, Gerard de Widdrington possessing it in the reign of Edward III.; and we find various members of this family stand conspicuous in the list of sheriffs of the county. Sir William Widdrington, a most zealous royalist, was created Lord Widdrington by Charles 1., in 1643, and was subsequently slain at Wigan, in 1651. William, the third Lord Widdrington, having taken part with the Earl of Derwentwater, suffered attainder in 1715, when his real and personal estate, amounting to £100,000, was sold for public use, the purchaser being Sir George Revel, from whom it descended by heiresses to Viscount Bulkeley, and subsequently to the present proprietors." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th August 2014, 03:12 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.