GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

WHALTON

Location of Whalton
The location of the Parish of Whalton (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"WHALTON is a parish comprising the townships of Newham, Ogle, Riplington, and Whalton. It is bounded on the north by Meldon parish, on the west by Tindale Ward, on the south by Newburn Parish, and on the east by Ponteland. It comprises an area of 5,918 acres, and its population in 1801, was 470; in 1811, 541; in 1821, 534; in 1831, 548; in 1841, 531; and in 1851, 461 souls. The decrease of population in Whalton, which is an agricultural parish, is attributed to the employment of single men instead of married labourers as formerly. The rivers Blyth and Howburn intersect this parish." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 5th April 2013, 01:19 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.