GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

WARK

Location of Wark
The location of the Parish of Wark (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"WARK parish comprises the townships of Shitlington (High) Quarter, Shitlington (Low) Quarter, Wark, and Warksburn, which were formerly a portion of the extensive parish of Simonburn, from which they were severed and made into a distinct parish, by the act of 51 Geo. III. cap. 194. It comprises an area of 22,986 acres, and its population in 1801, was 728; in 1811, 783; in 1821, 866; in 1831, 861; in 1841, 940; and in 1851, 865 souls. There are traces of numerous encampments in various parts of this district. The Raven's Crag, so called from its being the solitary and secure retreat of that bird, is a steep range of freestone rocks, situated at the southern extremity of the parish. At the west end of these lofty crags, there is a fine spring overshadowed by a natural arch, and in its vicinity, are broken masses of rock lying in the wildest disorder." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Church of England Records.
Adjacent Parishes.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 15th July 2014, 19:23 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.