GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

WALLSEND

Location of Wallsend
The location of the Parish of Wallsend (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"WALLSEND parish comprises the townships of Howden Pans, Wallsend and Willington, whose united area amounts to 2,787 acres. It is bounded on the north and west by Long Benton parish, on the south, by the river Tyne, and on the east by the parish of Tynemouth. The population in 1801, was 3,120; in 1811, 3,584; in 1821, 5,103; in 1831, 5,510; in 1841, 4,758; and in 1851, 5,721 souls. This parish stretches along the north bank of the Tyne, and is intersected by the Newcastle and South Shields Railway. Extensive coal mines exist in the neighbourbood, and the place formerly gave its name to an excellent variety of coal, but now the designation "Wallsend" is applied to all coal which passes over a sieve, whose meshes are five-eights of an inch asunder, without falling through." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 5th April 2013, 01:19 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.