GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

ULGHAM

Location of Ulgham
The location of the Parish of Ulgham (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"ULGHAM parochial chapelry comprises the three joint townships of Ulgham, Ulgham Grange, and Stobswood. It is bounded by the parishes of Hebron, Warkworth, Widdrington, Woodhorn, and Bothal, and its area is 3,615 acres. Population in 1801, 320; in 1811, 340; in 1821, 348: in 1831, 359; in 1841, 368; and in 1851, 329 souls. The rateable value is £5,970 10s. 6d.; and, with the exception of a small portion of the township of Ugham, the whole chapelry is the property of the Earl of Carlisle. The soil is in some parts good, and in others poor and unproductive. THE VILLAGE of Ulgham is pleasantly situated on the south bank of the river Line, five miles north-east by north of Morpeth. THE CHAPEL, dedicated to St. John, is a neat stone structure, and the living is annexed to the rectory of Morpeth. The register of this chapelry commences in 1602. Here is a neat school, erected about 36 years ago, by the Earl of Carlisle, John J. Robson, teacher." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 5th April 2013, 01:19 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.