GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

TYNEMOUTH

Location of Tynemouth
The location of the Parish of Tynemouth (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"TYNEMOUTH parish is bounded on the north and west by the parishes of Earsdon, Long Benton, and Wallsend, on the south by the river Tyne, and on the east by the German Ocean. It comprises the townships of Chirton, Cullercoats, Murton or Moortown, North Shields, Preston, Tynemouth, and Whitley, whose united area is 7,222 statute acres. The population in 1801, was l4,345; in l811, 19,042; in l821, 24820; in 1831, 24,778; in 1841, 27,249; and in 1851, it had increased to 30,524 souls. The surface is generally level, consisting of a strong soil, well suited for the growth of beans and wheat. Coal and ironstone are abundant, and the only magnesian limestone in the country is found in this parish. Three moors, known respectively by the names of Tynemouth Moor, Shire Moor, and Billy Mill Moor, and containing together an area of 1,300 acres, were divided and enclosed, under the authority of acts of parliament, obtained in the reign of George III." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855]

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Emigration and Immigration

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Law and Legislation

Return to top of page

Maps

Medical Records

Return to top of page

Merchant Marine

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Names, Personal

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 15th July 2014, 19:23 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.