GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

STANNINGTON

Location of Stannington
The location of the Parish of Stannington (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"STANNINGTON parish is divided into three divisions, called respectively Stannington North-East Quarter, Stannington North-West Quarter, and Stannington South Quarter, which comprise the townships of Bellasis-with-Boghall, Blagdon-with-Milkhope, Clifton-with-Coldwell, Duddoes-with-Whinney Hill, Plessy-with-Shotton, Saltwick, Stannington, and Stannington Vale, whose united area is 10,093 acres. The population in 1801, was 1,252; in 1811, 1,270; in 1821, 963; in 1831, 1,252: in 1841, 1,121; and in 1851, 1,000 souls. This decrease of population is attributed to the disuse of a colliery, and a spinning mill. The soil of this district is generally rich and well cultivated. The principal landowners are the Earl of Carlisle and Sir Matthew White Ridley, Bart. Stannington parish is bounded on the north by Morpeth, on the west by Whalton and Ponteland, on the south by Ponteland, and on the east by Bedlingtonshire, and the chapelries of Cramlington and Horton." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Church of England Records.
Adjacent Parishes.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th August 2014, 03:11 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.