GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

ST JOHN LEE

Location of St John Lee
The location of the Parish of St John Lee (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"ST. JOHN LEE is a parish, comprising the townships of Acomb (West), Anick, Anick Grange, Bingfield, Cocklaw, Fallowfield, Hallington, Portgate, Sandhoe, and Wall. It is bounded by the parishes of Thockrington, Chollerton, Simonburn, Warden, Hexham, Stamfordham, and Corbridge, and forms part of the liberty of Hexhamshire. It is about seven miles in length, by four in breadth, and comprises an area of 15,090 acres. Population in 1801, 1,802; in 1811, 1,910; in 1821, 1,952; in 1831, 1,962; in 1841, 1,947; and in 1851, 2,073 souls. The soil of this parish is very rich, and the surface both varied and beautiful. Coal and lead are found in large quantities, and the district is well watered by the northern branch of the Tyne, and intersected by the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Military Records

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 15th July 2014, 19:23 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.