GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

SLALEY

Location of Slaley
The location of the Parish of Slaley (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"SLALEY parish is principally the property of W. B. Beaumont, Esq., M.P., James Sillick, Esq., George Carr, Esq., Mr. John Blackburne, Mr Thomas Lamb, Mr. T. Teasdale, J. J. Wrightson and the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital. It is a wild and romantic district, lying between the Devil-Water and the Dipton Burn, and is bounded by the parishes of Corbridge, Bywell, Shotley, and Hexham. It has no dependent townships, is about four miles in length by three in breadth, and comprises an area of 7,430 acres. The population in 1801, was 585; in 1811, 558; in 1821, 582; in 1831, 616; in 1841, 547; and in 1851, 581 souls. The rateable value of the parish is £2,377, and the gross estitmated rental £2,981 5s. .... THE CHURCH is a small stone edifice, capable of accommodating about 500 persons." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th August 2014, 03:11 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.