Rock Hall, a 3-storey mansion situated in the village of Rock, Northumberland, was built in the 13th century but has been greatly modified since. Ownership passed from the Rock family to the Lawsons, then in succession to the Salkelds and the Proctors. The latter sold it to Peter Holford of London and his son sold it to Charles Bosanquet who was High Sheriff of Northumberland in 1828. The Bosanquet family still own the Hall, but for many years up to around 1990 it was leased to the Youth Hostels Association. There is a 13th/14th century chapel in the grounds and extensive garden walls probably dating from the 18th century when the Salkelds owned the Hall. In 1549 the Hall served as headquarters for a group of Spanish mercenaries who were employed to fight the Scots.