GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

OVINGHAM

Location of Ovingham
The location of the Parish of Ovingham (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"OVINGHAM is a parish comprising the townships of Dukeshagg. Eltringham, Harlow-hill, Hedley, Hedley-Woodside, Horsley, Mickley, Nafferton, Ovingham, Ovington, Prudhoe, Prudhoe Castle, Rouchester, Spittle, Welton, Whittle, and Wylam. It is bounded by the parishes of Stamfordham, Heddon-on-the-Wall and Bywell St. Andrew and St. Peter, except on the south-east, where it is separated from the County of Durham by the Stanley and Milkhouse Burn. It is about seven miles in length by five in breadth, and comprises an area of 15,740 acres. Its population in 1801, was 2,628; in 1811, 2,810; in 1821, 2,742; in 1831, 3,019; in 1841, 3,418; and in 1851, 3,962 souls. The parish is interesected by the river Tyne, and is beautifully diversified by gentle elevations." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855]

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Military Records

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 15th July 2014, 19:23 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.