GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

NORHAM

Location of Norham
The location of the Parish of Norham (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"NORHAM, OR NORHAMSHIRE, is a parish co-extensive with the hundred of the same name, and formerly, until the passing of the 7 and 8 Vict. c. 61, a detached part of the county of Durham. It is bounded on the north and west by the river Tweed, on the south by Glendale Ward, and on the east by Islandshire. It comprises the chapelry of Cornhill, and the townships of Duddo, Felkington, Grindon, Horncliffe, Loan-end, Longridge, Norham, Norham Mains, Shoreswood, Thornton, and Twizell, whose united area is 19,849 statute acres. The population of Norhamshire, in 1801, was 3,384; in 1811, 3,524; in 1821, 3,906; in 1831, 3,744; in 1841, 3,757; and in 1851, 4,289 souls. There are many freeholders in the parish, but in ancient times the greater part of the lands here were held by the Greys and the Nevilles. A considerable number of the inhabitants are employed in the Tweed Salmon fisheries." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 15th July 2014, 19:23 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.