GENUKI Home page
Newcastle Newcastle   Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

NEWCASTLE, ST NICHOLAS

Location of Newcastle, St
Nicholas
The location of the Parish of Newcastle, St Nicholas (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"The Church of St. Nicholas, an ancient and beautiful edifice, situated in the parish to which it gives its name, was founded in the year 1091, by Osmund, Bishop of Salisbury, Earl of Dorset, a follower of William the Conqueror. ... The original church was burnt down in 1216, and rebuilt in 1359, since which period it has been frequently repaired and beautified: it is now a magnificent structure, situated on the crown of a bold eminence, which rises abruptly from the river nearly to the centre of the town. ... The steeple of this church is a very ingenious specimen of architecture. It is sixty-four yards high, and consists of 13 pinnacles, and two bold stone arches supporting a large and beautiful lantern, crowned with a tall spire." [From History, Directory, and Gazetteer, of the Counties of Durham and Northumberland, Parson, William and White William. Newcastle 1827.]

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Maps

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th August 2014, 03:11 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.