GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

NEWBURN

Location of Newburn
The location of the Parish of Newburn (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"NEWBURN, a parish in the west division of Castle Ward, and east division of Tindale Ward, is bounded on the north by Ponteland parish, on the west by Tindale Ward and Heddon-on-the-Wall, on the south by the river Tyne, and on the east by the parishes of Gosforth and St. John. It contains 11,566 acres, and the number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 4,142; in 1811, 3,993; in 1821, 4,166; in 1831, 4,582; in 1841, 4,156; and in 1851, 4,316 souls. This parish includes the townships of Black Callerton, Butterlaw, Dalton, East Denton, West Denton, North Dissington, South Dissington, Newbiggin, Newburn, Newburn Hall, Sugley, Throckley, Walbottle, and Whorlton East and West. A small portion of the township of Black Callerton, in the parish of Ponteland, containing two houses and nine persons in 1851, belongs to this parish. The Bishop of Carlisle is the owner of the tithes. This is a very fertile district, with a varied and beautiful surface. On the banks of the Tyne, in this parish, there are extensive iron works, coal staiths, brick and tile yards, chemical works, and other manufactories of various kinds." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Military Records

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 15th July 2014, 19:23 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.