GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

MITFORD

Location of Mitford
The location of the Parish of Mitford (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"MITFORD, a parish partly in the west division of Morpeth Ward, and partly in the west division of Castle Ward, comprehends the townships of Benridge, Edington, High and Low Highlaws, Mitford, Molesdon, Newton Park, Newton Underwood, Nunriding, Pigdon, Spittle Hill, and Throphill. It is bounded by the parishes and chapelries of Long Horsley, Hartburn, Meldon, Whalton, Morpeth, and Hebron, and comprises an area of 9,595 statute acres. The population in 1801, was 676; in 1811, 630; in 1821, 625; in 1831, 701; in 1841, 733; and in 1851, 700 souls. This district possesses rich and fertile soil, and is well watered by the rivers Font and Wansbeck." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th October 2014, 20:37 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.