GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

MELDON

Location of Meldon
The location of the Parish of Meldon (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"MELDON parish is situated in the north-west corner of Castle Ward, and comprises an area of 993 acres. The number of its inhabitants in 1801 was 54; in 1811, 129; in 1821, 129; in 1831, 114; in 1841, 152 and in 1851, 144 souls. John Cookson, Esq., of Meldon Hall, is lord of the manor and owner of the soil. Meldon was anciently a member of the barony of Mitford, and seems to have been a place of some importance, for we find here the remains of a large strong building, with extensive gardens, and in Meldon Park the traces of several other edifices have been discovered. This place was formerly the property of the ancient family of Fenwick, from whom it was transferred by marriage to the Derwentwaters, in which family it continued till the attainder of James, the third Earl, when it was forfeited to the crown. It was afterwards granted to Greenwich Hospital, and was subsequently sold by the Commissioners of the Hospital to Isaac Cookson, Esq., alderman of Neweastle, for the sum of 56,900 guineas." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 15th July 2014, 19:23 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.