GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

LUCKER

Location of Lucker
The location of the Parish of Lucker (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"LUCKER, a chapelry, township, and small village in this [Bambrough] parish, contains 1,808 acres, the property of the Duke of Northumberland. Its annual value is £2,240 10s 2d.; and the number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 153; in 1811, 165; in 1821, 194; in 1831, 266; in 1841, 210; and in 1851, 293 souls. THE VlLLAGE of Lucker is situated about four miles west by south from Bambrough Castle, and consists of the chapel, the parsonage house, a corn mill, a farm house, an inn, and a few scattered cottages. THE CHAPEL is surrounded by a graveyard, and is not remarkable for its style or beauty. The living, a perpetual curacy, returned at £100 per annum, is in the patronage of the Duke of Northumberland. The Rev. L. S. Orde, M.A., is incumbent, and the Rev. George Prince Hall, M.A., curate. Lucker Hall and the Parsonage are respectable residences. Here is a station on the York, Newcastle, and Berwick Railway." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 15th July 2014, 19:23 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.