GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

LOWICK

Location of Lowick
The location of the Parish of Lowick (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"LOWICK parish comprises the townships of Barmoor, Bowsdon, Holborn, and Lowick; and is bounded on the north by Islandshire, on the west by Ford, on the south by Doddington and Chatton, and on the east by Belford. Its area is 12,526 acres, and its population in 1801, was 1,382; in 1811, 1,519; in 1821, 1,799; in 1831, 1,864; in 1841, 1,941; and in 1851, 1,941 souls. The soil consists chiefly of a loamy clay, and the surface presents a bleak and monotonous appearance. There was a new colliery opened here, in 1854, called Licker Colliery." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th August 2014, 03:11 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.