GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

LONGFRAMLINGTON

Location of
Longframlington
The location of the Parish of Longframlington (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"LONG FRAMLINGTON is a chapelry, township, and village, comprising an area of 4,962 acres, and its rateable value is £2,324. Its population in 1801, was 471; in 1811, 508; in 1821, 563; in 1831, 543; in 1841, 549; and in 1851, 549 souls. The manor of Long Framlington, previous to the reign of Henry VIII., was the property of the Eslington family, on the extinction of which, the estate was sold in lots, and is now the property of the Duke of Northumberland and a number of freeholders. The land of this chapelry is generally of a good quality. On the north-western extremity is a long narrow tract containing about 1,000 acres of the wildest and most dreary moorland in the county. Here are a number of cairns composed of loose stones, and the road called the Devil's Causeway passes near this place, where there are large heaps of scoriœ, probably produced by the Romans in melting ironstone. Coal, limestone, and freestone, are the principal mineral productions" [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 5th April 2013, 01:18 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.