GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

LONGHOUGHTON

Location of
LongHoughton
The location of the Parish of LongHoughton (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"LONG HOUGHTON parish comprises the townships of Boulmer with Seaton House, Little Houghton, and Long Houghton, whose united area is 4,113 acres. It is bounded on the north by Howick and Embleton parishes, on the west by Alnwick parish, on the south by Lesbury, and on the east by the German ocean. The parish is about two miles in length by three in breadth, and coal, lead, and limestone, are the principal minerals. Its population in 1801, was 554; in 1811, 595; in 1821, 650; in 1831, 690; in 1841, 772; and in 1851, it had attained to 861 souls." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

The modern form of the parish name is Longhoughton.

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th August 2014, 03:11 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.