GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

KIRKNEWTON

Location of Kirknewton
The location of the Parish of Kirknewton (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"KIRKNEWTON parish is bounded on the north by the parishes of Ford, Carham, and Branxton, on the west by Scotland, on tbe south by Coquetdale Ward, and on the east by Doddington and Wooler parishes. It comprises the townships of Akeld, Coldsmouth and Thompson's Walls, Coupland, Crookhouse, Grey's Forest, Heathpool, Howtell, Kilham, Kirk Newton, Lanton, Milfield, Newton West, Paston, Selby's Forest, and Yeavering, whose united area is 37,976 acres. Its population in 1801, was 1,406; in 1811, 1,472; in 1821, 1,701; in 1831, 1,674; in 1841, 1,726; and in 1851, 1,732 souls. The principal landowners are Sir William Davison, Sir F. Blake. Matthew Culley, Esq., George A. Grey, Esq., the Earl of Tankerville, ---- Morton, Esq., Percival Clennell, Esq., George Rea. Esq., Frank Sitwell, Esq., Lady Stanley, Johu Ord, Esq., Alexander Thompson, Esq., and Robert Thompson, Esq. This parish occupies an extensive but thinly populated tract, in the south-western part of Glendale Ward." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 15th July 2014, 19:23 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.