GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

KIRKHEATON

Location of Kirkheaton
The location of the Parish of Kirkheaton (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"KIRK HEATON is an extra parochial chapelry, on the north of the parish of Stamfordham, to which it was formerly annexed. It comprises an area of 1,760 acres, and its population in 1801, was 147; in 1811, 153; in 1821, 140; in l831, 182; in l841, 164; and in 1851, 153 souls. Calverley B. Bewick, Esq., is the landowner. Here is a colliery and limekiln, which are extensively worked by Messrs. William Grace & Co. THE VILLAGE of Kirk-Heaton occupies an elevated position about nine and a half miles north-east by north of Hexham. From the eminence upon which it is situated, a most extensive view of the surrounding country may be obtained, while on the east and south-east a portion of the German Ocean and Gaterhead Fell is plainly discernible. THE CHAPEL was rebuilt in 1775, at the expense of Mrs. H. D. Windsor, at that time lady of the manor. The living, a perpetual curacy in the patronage of C. B. Berwick, Esq., is valued at £60 per annum, and enjoyed by the Rev. Humphrey Brown. The Parsonage was formerly the Manor House. This chapelry registers with Thockrington, which see." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th August 2014, 03:11 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.