GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

ILDERTON

Location of Ilderton
The location of the Parish of Ilderton (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"ILDERTON parish is bounded on the north by Wooler and Doddington, on the west by the Cheviots, on the south by Ingram, and on the east by Eglingham. It comprises the townships of Ilderton, Middleton Hall, Middleton North, Middleton South, Roddam, and Roseden, whose united area is 9,670 acres. The population in 1801, was 475; in 1811, 502; in 1821, 579; in 1831, 602; in 1841, 585; and in 1851, 641 souls. The eastern portion of this parish consists of a light gravelly soil while the western part is chiefly moss and heather. The surface is hilly and to the south-west the parish extends to the summit of Hedgehope, one of the Cheviot Hills. It has for its southern limit the river Breamish, and is intersected by the Caldgate, Lilburn, Roddam, and several minor streams." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Church of England Records.
Adjacent Parishes.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th August 2014, 03:11 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.