GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

HALTON

Location of Halton
The location of the Parish of Halton (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"HALTON is a chapelry, township, and hamlet, in Corbridge parish, the property of Sir Edward Blaekett, Bart., who is also lord of the manor. The chapelry embraces the townships of Great Whittington, Clarewood, Halton, and Halton Shields. .... HALTON CASTLE, in this township, is a strong oblong structure, with four turrets, and in its vicinity is a Chapel of Ease to Corbridge church which was rebuilt in 1706, towards the expense of which John Douglas gave £146 17s. 2d., and the freeholders of Whittingham £78 1s. 1d. The living is united to that of Corbridge." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 15th July 2014, 19:23 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.