Select a letter below to go directly to places starting with that letter
This is an index of Northumberland parishes, townships, towns, villages and
hamlets which existed in the nineteenth century. Each entry includes:-
- A link to the appropriate GENUKI parish page.
- The names of the Registration District and Sub-District which covered the
area in the period 1851-1891 - these were used as the basis for census
enumeration throughout this period as well as indicating the place where
births, deaths and marriages were recorded.
- A link to the address of the modern District Register Office which
currently holds records from the area. (This information is not compliled
from official sources and may be subject to error.)
The following information will be added to the entries as and when time
- Ordnance Survey Grid Reference and Latitude/Longtitude.
- Ordnance Survey 1:50000 (Landranger) and 1:25000 (Pathfinder, Outdoor
Leisure or Explorer)* sheet numbers. For extended
areas such as parishes, only the Landranger sheet numbers are given.
- Bearing and Distance in miles (to the nearest half mile) and kilometers (to
the nearest kilometer) from Berwick upon Tweed, Alnwick, Newcastle upon Tyne
or Hexham, whichever is closest.
* The Pathfinder series has been
phased out and replaced by "Outdoor Leasure" and "Explorer" series 1:25000
[Last updated: 3rd August 2010 - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2006
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.