GENUKI Home page
Felton Felton     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Felton

"FELTON, a parish in the wards of Coquetdale and Morpeth, county Northumberland, 9 miles S. of Alnwick, its post town, and 10 N. of Morpeth. It is situated on the river Coquet, which is here crossed by a stone bridge of three arches. The parish includes the townships of Acton, Bockenfield, Elyhaugh, Eshott, Felton Greens, Swarland, and Shothaugh, with several hamlets The village was burnt in 1216 by John, in revenge for the barons of Northumberland having here sworn homage to Alexander, King of Scotland. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Durham, of the value with the perpetual curacy of Long Framlingham annexed, of £275, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is a stone edifice of ancient date, dedicated to St. Michael. The parochial charities produce about £22 per annum. The Presbyterians have a place of worship, and there is a handsome Roman Catholic church. Felton Hall, a noble mansion situated in a beautiful park, has been held by several families in succession, and is now the seat of Thomas Riddell, who is lord of the manor. Fairs for the sale of cattle and sheep are held on the first Mondays in May and November, and there are races in the month of October."

"ACTON, a township, joined with Old Felton, in the parish of Felton, ward of Coquetdale, in the county of Northumberland, 7 miles to the S. of Alnwick. It is near the river Coquet. Acton House is the principal residence."

"BOCK-ENFIELD, a township in the parish of Felton, Morpeth ward, in the county of Northumberland, 8 miles to the N. of Morpeth."

"EAST THIRSTON, (and West Thirston) a township in the parish of Felton, E. division of Morpeth ward, county Northumberland, 1 mile S.E. of Felton, and 10 miles S. of Alnwick. At West Thirston the Presbyterians have a chapel and a day school.

"ELYHAUGH, a township in the parish of Felton, E. division of Coquetdale ward, county Northumberland, 2 miles W. of Felton, and 9 N. of Morpeth."

"ESHOTT, a township in the parish of Felton, E. division of the ward of Morpeth, county Northumberland, 3 miles S.E. of Felton, and 7 N. of Morpeth. Coal is obtained here. Eshott Hall is the principal residence."

"GLANTHES, a hamlet in the parish of Felton, E. division of the ward of Coquetdale, county Northumberland, 4 miles N.W. of Felton, and 6 N.E. of Rothbury. This is a township with Greens."

"GREENS, a township in the parish of Felton, E. division of the ward of Coquetdale, county Northumberland, 6 miles N.E. of Rothbury. It is united to Glantlees."

"OLD FELTON, a township in the parish of Felton, ward of Coquetdale, county Northumberland, 2 miles N.E. of Felton, and 8 S. of Alnwick. It includes Acton, Felton Path, and Thirston. Acton Hall and Acton House are two handsome seats in this township.

"PATH-FOOT, an extra-parochial place in the township of Felton, county Northumberland, 9 miles N. of Morpeth."

"SHOTHAUGH, a township in the parish of Felton, E. division of Morpeth ward, county Northumberland, 8 miles N. of Morpeth. It is in conjunction with Thirston."

"SWARLAND, a township in the parish of Felton, E. division of Coquetdale ward, county Northumberland, 7 miles S.W. of Alnwick, and 2 N.W. of Felton. The village is near the river Coquet. There is a Sunday-school, supported by the Rev. T. Ilderton. The principal residence is Swarland Hall, situated in a well-wooded park. In front of the Hall, and close to the great road between Morpeth and Alnwick, is an obelisk of white freestone, erected by the late Alexander Davison, Esq., to the memory of Lord Nelson."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.01 These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Generated by Gaz3 v01.09 ©2000
[Last updated: 3rd August 2010 - Brian Pears]
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.