GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

EGLINGHAM

Location of Eglingham
The location of the Parish of Eglingham (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"EGLINGHAM parish is bounded on the north by Glendale Ward, on the west by the parishes of Ingram and Ilderton, on the south by Alnwick, Edlingham, and Whittingham parishes, and on the east by Bambrough Ward. It is about nine miles in length, by four and a half in breadth, and comprises an area of 23,361 acres. Its population in 1801, was 1,536; in 1811, 1,538; in 1821, 1,666; in 1831, 1,805; in 1841, 1,832; and in 1851, 2,000 souls. It comprises 16 townships, which exhibit a great variety of soil and scenery, from the sterile moor to the fertile and highly cultivated valley, and possesses a mineral spring, tinctured with sulphuric acid, which issues from an old drift for the draining of coalpits; as also a lake covering nine acres, called Kimmer Lough, abounding in perch and pike, the latter of which attain to a great size. There are some vestiges of British and Roman encampments, and the ruins of an old border tower. Lime freestone, and coal are abundant in this parish." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 5th April 2013, 01:18 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.