GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

EARSDON

Location of Earsdon
The location of the Parish of Earsdon (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"Earsdon, a parish comprising the townships of Backworth, Blyth and Newsham, Burradon, Earsdon, Hartley, Holywell, Seaton Delaval, and Sighill, is bounded on the north by Bedlingtonshire, on the west by Long Benton, Cramlington, and Horton, on the south by Tynemouth, and on the east by the German Ocean. It is a rich and fertile district abounding with excellent stone and coal, of which great quantities are annually exported from Blyth and Hartley. The surface of the parish consists of gentle undulations, and is well suited for various kinds of agricultural produce It is about seven and a half miles in length by six in breadth, and comprises an area of 11,646 acres. The population in 1801, was 3,651; in 1811, 4,388; in 1821, 4,644; in 1831, 6,460; in 1811, 9,429; and in 185l, it had increased to 10,982 souls." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855]

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Dwellings

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Maps

Migration, Internal

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Names, Personal

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

Return to top of page

Town Records

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 15th July 2014, 19:22 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.