GENUKI Home page upEarsdon ContentsContents

HARTLEY, NORTHUMBERLAND, 1828/9

from Pigot's Directory

Hartley, a township, in the same parish and ward as Seaton Delaval, one mile from that village, eleven miles from Newcastle, and about four from Blyth and North Shields; consists of one long irregular street of mean houses, extending to the sands. At one time it was much more prosperous than at present, and had some large bottle works. About 1,800 inhabitants are in this township.


Inns, Taverns & Public Houses

Black Bull, Wm. Gray
Delaval's Arms, Matt. Laws
Ship, Geo. Hall
Three Horse Shoes, Cath. Howey


Ship Owners at Seaton sluice

Broderick, John & Robt.
Taylor, John


Shopkeepers & Traders

Armstrong, Geo., butcher
Brown, Thos., tailor
Fleck, Rt., schoolmaster etc.
Forster, Wm., blacksmith
Foster, Wm., grocer
Harrison, Wm., tailor
Johnston, Wm., shoemaker & shopkeeper
Laidler, Geo., schoolmaster
Murray, Alice, shopkeeper
Ogletree, Jno., plasterer, etc.
Rugless, Jas., grocer
Smith, Hannah, school mistress
Taylor, Mary, shopkeeper
Wardle, Geo., shopkeeper

Ronald Branscombe branscombe@globalnet.co.uk
Holywell
Northumberland
UK

Copyright © 1996 Ronald Branscombe

Most recent revision 15 August 1996 09:27:20


GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.