GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

CORBRIDGE

Location of Corbridge
The location of the Parish of Corbridge (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"CORBRIDGE is a parish, comprising the townships of Aydon, Aydon Castle, Clarewood, Corbridge, Dilston, Halton, Halton Shields, Thornborough, Whittington Great, and Whittington Little. It is about eight miles in length from north to south, but its average breadth does not exeeed two and a half miles, and comprises an area of 13,130 acres. Its population in 1801, was 1,744; in 1811, 1,979; in 1821, 2,037; in 1831, 2,091; in 1841, 2,103; and in 1851, 2,163 souls. The whole of this district is in an excellent state of cultivation, and contains great quantities of lead, coal, and lime. There are also several large plantations in various parts of the parish, the property of the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Military Records

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th August 2014, 03:11 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.