GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

CHATTON

Location of Chatton
The location of the Parish of Chatton (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"CHATTON parish is bounded on the north by Lowick and Doddington parishes, on the west by Wooler and Eglingham, on the south by Eglingham and Chillingham, and on the east by Bambrough and Belford parishes. It is about seven and a half miles in length by the same in breadth, and has an area of 17,090 acres. Population in 1801, 1,135; in 1811, 1,378; in 1821, 1,460; in 1831, 1,632; in 1841, 1,725; and in 1851, 1765 souls. It comprises the townships of Chatton, Fowberry, Hazelrig, Hetton, Hetton House, Horton, Lyham, and Weetwood, whose returns are included in those of the parish. This district is intersected by the river Till, a rapid stream, which rises southward of the Cheviot Hills, and is fed by various springs from that wild expanse of country, as it encompasses it at a considerable distance, till it falls into the Tweed below Cornhill. This river flows through a pleasant valley in the midst of a rude, encircling waste, and its banks are adorned by several villages. In the neigbourhood of the Till, the soil is fertile and well cultivated, but the east and west portions of the parish are generally sterile and heathy. Coal and limestone are found in this district." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th August 2014, 03:11 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.