GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

CARHAM

Location of Carham
The location of the Parish of Carham (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"CARHAM PARISH is situated at the north-west corner of Northumberland, being bounded on the north and west by Scotland, on the south by the Beaumont rivulet, and on the east by the parishes of Branxton and Ford. Though it is about 6 miles in length from east to west, and 4 miles in breadth from north to south, it is not properly divided into townships, but contains the following hamlets, viz.- Carham, Downham, Hagg, East and West Learmouth, Mindrum, Moneylaws, Presson, Shidlaw, Tithehill, Wark and Wark Common, which together contained, in 1801, a population of 1192 persons, who, in 1811, had increased to 1316, and in 1821, to 1370, consister on 242 families, resident in 240 houses....." [From History, Directory, and Gazetteer of the counties of Durham and Northumberland, Parson and White, 1828]

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th August 2014, 03:11 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.