GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

BRANXTON

Location of Branxton
The location of the Parish of Branxton (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"BRANXTON a small parish on the borders of Scotland, comprises 1,487 acres, the property of John Collingwood, Esq., and the trustees of the late R.C. Askew, Esq. Its population in 1801, was 209; in 1811, 261; in 1821, 253; in 1831, 249; in 1841, 261; and in 1851, 248 souls. The parish possesses no dependent townships, and the manor of Branxton was anciently the property of the Selby family. The VILLAGE of Branxton is situated nine miles north-west by north of Wooler. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Paul, is a very neat edifice occupying the site of an ancient church, which was taken down and the present structure erected, in 1849, and a cost of £470." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Church of England Records.
Adjacent Parishes.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 1st June 2013, 23:39 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.