GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

BLANCHLAND

Location of Blanchland
The location of the Parish of Blanchland (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"BLANCHLAND, or HIGH QUARTER [of Shotley Parish], is a chapelry, township and village, the property of Lord Crewe's trustees. The township contains 3,728 acres of land, and its rateable value is £735 5s. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 366; in 1811, 518; in 1821, 412; in 1831, 454; in 1841, 476; and in 1851, 491 souls. The VILLAGE of Blanchland is situated in a narrow, deep, green vale, on the north side of the Derwent, nine miles south by east of Hexham. Walter de Bolbeck, in 1175, founded an abbey here in honour of the Blessed Virgin, for twelve Præmonstratensian canons, with liberty to add to their number." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th August 2014, 03:11 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.