GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

BIRTLEY

Location of Birtley
The location of the Parish of Birtley (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"BIRTLEY parochial chapelry was separated from the parish of Chollerton in 1765, and received an independent jurisdiction. It includes the townships of Broomhope with Buteland, and anciently formed part of the barony of Prudhoe. It comprises an area of 6,720 acres, and the rateable value is £3,703 15s. Population in 1801, 490; in 1811, 505; in 1821, 480; in 1831, 447; in 1841, 472; and in 1851, 428 souls. The north-east part of this chapelry is mountainous and sterile, but on the banks of the North Tyne, the soil is tolerably fertile. Both coal and lime are found here. It is principally the property of the Duke of Northumberland, ----- Dunn, Esq., Mr. Davison, and Captain Haggartson. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Church of England Records.
Adjacent Parishes.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 15th July 2014, 19:22 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.