GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

BELLINGHAM

Location of Bellingham
The location of the Parish of Bellingham (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"BELLINGHAM parish is composed chiefly of moors and sheepwalks, and was formerly a chapelry to the extensive parish of Simonburn, which was divided into six parishes by an act of the 51st of George III., cap. 194. It comprises the townships of Bellingham, East Charlton, West Charlton, Leemailing, Nook, and Tarretburn, whose united area is 20,211 acres. The population in 1801, was 1,079; in 1811, 1,232; in 1821, 1,396; in 1831, 1,460; in 1841, 1,730; and in 1851, 1,594 souls. In this parish there is a extensive moor, called Hareshaw Common, containing above 7,000 acres, and abounding in various kinds of game. The soil, both in the valleys and on the hill side, is very fertile, being a strong red gravel, producing abundance of corn and turnips. Coal, ironstone, and limestone are found in large quantities in this district." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 10th August 2014, 03:11 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.