GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

ALNHAM

Location of Alnham
The location of the Parish of Alnham (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"ALNHAM is a small village, near the source of the Aln river, 9 miles NNW. of Rothbury, and 13 miles W. of Alnwick. This small parish is bounded on the east by Whittingham, on the south by Allenton, on the west by Kidland, and on the north by Ingram. It is sometimes called Yarwell, and was formerly a place of consequence. The Church is dedicated to St Michael .... Alnham has evidently been an important place in the time of the ancient Britons and Romans. A little to the south is Black Chester, which was occupied by the Romans; and on a hill, a mile west of Alnham, is a semi-circular encampment, defended by two outward rampires and a deep fosse, with an inner circle of uncemented stones. The interior area is 100 yards in diameter, and shows many vestiges of buildings" [From History, Directory, and Gazetteer of the counties of Durham and Northumberland, Parson and White, 1828]

Census

Return to top of page

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 15th July 2014, 19:22 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.