Allendale, St Cuthbert. The first church in Allendale was built in 1174 as a
chapel vested in the Prior of Hexham. A new church was built in the fourteenth
century. In 1807 that church was replaced by a very plain building, most of
which was demolished in 1873 when the present building was erected. Parts of
the tower of the 1807 building survive. The dedication changed at some point
from Our Lady to St Cuthbert.
Allendale, St Peter in the Forest (or Allenheads, St Peter), located about
four miles south of Allendale Town, in the hamlet of Sparty Lea, is now a
private house. The present building, dated 1825, replaced an earlier structure
of 1701. There is a large churchyard at the rear of the building.
Allenheads Chapel, in Allenheads village, was erected by the lord and lady
of the manor in 1826. It also replaced an earlier building of 1701, and has
also been converted into a private house.
Allendale, St Peter and Allenheads Chapel were chapels of ease under
Allendale, St Cuthbert, but the area was a distinct parish for a short period.
The dates are unclear, however.
St Mark's, Ninebanks (or West Allen) was built in 1764 as a chapel of ease
in Allendale Parish, but in 1767 it became a 'district parish'. The church was
rebuilt in 1813 and again in 1871. When the first vicar was appointed in 1867,
he was also given charge of Christ Church at Carr Shield.
Carr Shield, Christ Church, was originally a chapel of ease under Allendale,
St Cuthbert, but in 1867 it was placed under the care of the vicar of
Ninebanks, St Mark. The first chapel was built in 1704 and was replaced in
1822. The building was demolished around 1980.
Until 1837, Hexhamshire, which included this parish, was a detached part of
the diocese of York. In that year it was transferred to the Diocese of