GENUKI Home page
Northumberland Northumberland
county page
  Contents Contents   Parish Index Northumberland
Towns & Parishes
  Neighbours Nearby places

ALLENDALE

Location of Allendale
The location of the Parish of Allendale (shown in green).

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
"ALLENDALE is an extensive and hilly parish in the district of Hexhamshire and in general appearance is sterile and desolate, abounding with rugged elevations, which, however, conceal mineral treasures of great value. It is about twelve miles in length by ten in breadth, and comprises an area of 37,267 acres. The population in 1801, was 3,519; in 1811, 3884; in 1821, 4,629; in 1831, 5,540; in l841, 5,729; and in 1851, 6,383 souls. The rateable value is 11,631. ... This parish contains very extensive lead mines, the principal of which are at Coalcleugh and Allenheads, where there are several levels nearly a mile in length...." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855]

Allendale Parish is divided into nine grieveships: Allendale Town, Broadside, Catton, High Forest, Low Forest, Keenley, Park, West Allen (High) and West Allen (Low). The village of Allenheads is situated in High Forest Grieveship, Ninebanks (previously Nine Banks) is in West Allen (Low), and Carr Shield is in West Allen (High).

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Return to top of page

Emigration and Immigration

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

Valid XHTML 1.0! [Last updated: 5th April 2013, 01:18 BST - Brian Pears]
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996-2013
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.