Northumberland and Durham
Compiled by Brian Pears
Select a letter below to go directly to
entries starting with that letter
The entries on these pages contain some or all of the following data:-
- Name of colliery or pit and place or district.
- Alternative names.
- Pits or shafts which are part of the colliery.
- Opening date.
- Closing date.
- Ordnance Survey Landranger Sheet Number.
- Grid Reference - 4, 6, 8 or 10-figure.
- Distance in miles (to the nearest half mile) and in kilometres (to the nearest
Km) from the nearest of Berwick-upon-Tweed (Royal Border Bridge), Alnwick
(Castle), Newcastle-upon-Tyne (Tyne Bridge) or Middlesbrough (Tees Viaduct).
This data is far from complete and additional information is always
welcome. I can be contacted at
Please do NOT send me queries regarding collieries listed here. Such
queries should instead be addressed to the
NORTHUMBRIA or the
COALMINERS mailing list.
© Copyright Brian Pears, 1997
[Last updated: Tuesday, 6th September 2011 - 11:18 BST - Brian Pears]
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.